Monday, March 8, 2010

Mrs Obama honors Women's Day, and tell a few jokes


President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama helped celebrate International Women's Day today with some one-liners reminiscent of the old vaudeville routines of George and Gracie Allen, or perhaps of Sonny and Cher Bono.

"So, I get so speak first while he stands and watches -- I love this!" Mrs. Obama said of her husband, to the chuckles of the mostly female audience in the East Room at the White House.

"Look at me adoringly!," she told the president.

To which he responded: "I can do that ..."

To which she said: "... with sincerity!"

Later, Mrs. Obama, cracked, "it is my pleasure to introduce one of the few men in the room."

In his formal remarks, President Obama said the history of women in the United States, like the history of the country itself, has had peaks and valleys, but the line has always had "an upward curve."

He cited the contributions of American women throughout the centuries, from former first lady Abigail Adams to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor to -- yes -- Secretary of State and former primary opponent Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The program also featured actress Kerry Washington, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Afghan singer Mozdah Jamalzadah, and singer Katharine McPhee.

Progress in women's rights has been made, the president said, but too many opportunities and glass ceilings remain "beyond the reach" of too many women. "We have so much more work to do," he said.

Obama also praised his spouse. "I'm biased, I acknowledge," he said, "but I think she's a pretty good first lady."

Oh, and Obama told Mrs. Obama: "I'm very sincere when I look at you adoringly."

by Mashua voice for the voiceless
I just love them as a couple!! I am sure that Bill and Hillary loved each other, they certainly supported one another; and there is no doubt that Barbara was the backbone of George...but neither put a smile on my face like Barack and Michelle. Well done Mr. President and First Lady!